Add specialty grain in a grain bag to 2.5 gallons cold water in boil pot. Leave in until water begins to boil
Add 2 cans extract syrup when boiling starts
Boil for 60 min
At start, add 1 oz. Fuggles in grain bag for bittering
At 55 min, add 1 oz. Fuggles in grain bag for flavor and aroma
Move brew pot (lidded) to ice bath in sink until cool (shooting for about 80deg)
Activate dry yeast per instructions
Strain wort into cold water in fermenter. Add cold water to reach 5 gal.
Pitch yeast when cool
Cooled with brew pot in sink again. Had a bunch of extra ice and accidentally over did the cooling. Wort was measuring 54deg after adding the rest of the water. One difference was that the water we bought was refrigerated before we got it, so after spending the boil time in the freezer it was actually partially frozen. I rehydrated the yeast in warm water. I then spent several minutes slowly spooning cold water into the mug to try to get the down closer to the wort temp. OG measured 1.030 @ 54deg. As usual, overly low measurement.
Pitched at 56deg
24hrs: No visible bubble yet, 58deg, wrapped a dry towel around for a little insulation
48hrs: Slow bubble, 59deg, about 1 bubble per 10 seconds
72hrs: Steady bubbles, 60deg, bubble every ~3 seconds
5.5 days: Bubbling stopped, 56deg
7 days: no bubbles, 56 deg
8 days: Still 56 deg, moved upstairs to back bedroom to bring up temp
8.5 days: up to 62 deg
9 days: 62 deg, slight signs of activity. Perfect!
10 days: 62deg
17 days: 66deg, temps outside got up into the 50s and warmed the room
21 days: 62deg
28 days: 62deg, Bottled, 2/10/13! Had to leave in primary for 4 weeks dues to various traveling, schedule constraints, and giant snow storms. Totally forgot to measure FG. Bottling went smooth, only had 48 bottles, had to dump about 1 bottle's worth. Tasted nice at bottle time.
Good. A little lighter than hoped for. Maybe closer to a porter than a stout. Should be better after some aging.