A light-bodied porter that was going to be a mild brown until I came home with the wrong ingredients from the brew store. Instead of buying 2 cans of light extract, I accidentally picked up one can of light and one of dark. Oh well, let's just roll with it. Brewed 10/4/2010.
My perennial problems of wort staying too warm hit me again. Even after adding the boil to cold water and putting the bucket in a bath tub of cold water it was 5 hours before the temperature hit 78 deg. Still too warm, but I pitched anyways. Original gravity: 1.036. The fermentation went like lightning in a bucket. Bubbling stop around 24 hrs in with the temperature hovering around 80 the whole time. I checked the gravity after 48 hrs, and it read 1.012, so I guessed everything was ok. Time to invest in a wort chiller I guess.
Other notes: When I went to put the airlock in the put, I punched the rubber gasket into the wort. Smooth move. I had to siphon the wort into the bottling bucket, get the gasket, and then siphon it back. Luckily, no contamination issues (yet).
When I checked the final gravity, it weirdly read 1.020. Accounting for the priming sugar, that's about 1.018, significantly higher that the 1.012 I read earlier. Strange; I took the average and went with a final gravity of 1.015, for a ABV of ~2.75%.
I went with Occidental Porter as the name to play off the word "accidental" and because I've always thought the word "occidental" sounded good.
Pretty good! It's dark like a stout, but is light-bodied and goes down smooth. The black patent lends a little bit of coffee flavor. The too-warm fermentation lends some tangy, acidic flavors. Hopefully those will fade with time.